The Mulloy's

The Mulloy's

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Supermom: A Dad's Eye View

Minje always tells me that I do not contribute to the blog.  I always ask how many other husbands contribute to her friends’ blogs and she never says anything, so I assume this means no husbands contribute to blogs.  Even so, I felt it was a good time to contribute to the blog by giving some credit to the person who always contributes to the blog and everything else in our lives.
I am lucky enough to be married to Supermom.  I know that a lot of people have two kids.  I know that some people also have two kids and two full time jobs.  I would wager that there are not very many people that have two kids and hold down two Big 4 public accounting jobs.  I am not sure that we could possibly have more demanding jobs during certain times of the year.  It just so happened that Minje’s maternity leave ended, and she started back at pretty much the worst possible time of the year.  Somehow we made it to the other side.  And that somehow is Minje.  I have no idea how she does it.  The amount of patience and love that she shows our boys after working all day and being up all night is just amazing to me.  I struggle a lot with the patience part of this equation, and I think that is why Minje is even more amazing to me.  To clarify, Patrick is what most doctors would describe as “bat shit crazy”.  WebMD defines bat shit crazy children as children who will never let you change their clothes, only eat waffles, fruit snacks, or goldfish, and throw insane tantrums every 25-35 seconds.  Other than, Patrick is a joy.  We thought Peyton was going to be that chunky kid who just sat quietly in the corner thinking about when he’s going to get his next piece of cake, but oh were we wrong.  He has been watching his older brother a bit too much, and now will not sit still for anything except to eat cake.  He also eats every 30 minutes at night, which leaves Minje getting about one hour and 18 minutes of sleep per night.  I complain often about the slack of sleep we get around our house, but to be honest I have it easy.  I get a solid four hours minimum every night with Patrick giving me at least 14 inches on my side of the king bed to sleep while he sleeps horizontally across kicking me in the face and jamming his feet under my body because he refuses to use his blanket as anything but a pillow.  Minje on the other hand, has to deal with the kid who wants to eat all night and squeals with excitement just to be lying next to her.  I mean, it’s sweet, but it’s also torture.  Minje always let’s my work extracurricular activities come before hers.  Most of the time this involves me drinking copious amount of alcohol with clients or recruits while she is left dealing with batshit crazy Patrick and Peyton.  Do I feel like an ass hole 90% of the time? Of course I do.  But this makes it no easier on Minje on those nights.  I know that this is no easy task because I can only handle the boys by myself for around seven minutes before I start crying and have to call Minje to come home.  Coming home after working all day to two screaming hungry kids (someone is ALWAYS screaming) it not an ideal situation.   But having to do it on your own is an absolute nightmare.  Dinner usually consists of Minje and I inhaling food while Patrick screams that there are no womenems (M&M’s) on his plate while Peyton screams that we aren’t getting the spoon back in his mouth fast enough between bites.  When I say that Patrick won’t eat anything, I mean that he wont even TOUCH it.  The other night we held out a womenem if he would just touch a bite of sweet potato with his finger.  He screamed bloody murder and hid behind Peyton’s high chair.  So that’s an uphill battle, but I digress.
I know that Minje feels like she is not doing well at anything: employee, mom, or wife.  She couldn’t be more wrong.  I can’t really speak much to the employee thing, but I do know that after all this shit we deal with on a nightly basis, half the time she has to get back online to finish he work.  And I have worked with Minje and she’s ten times the employee I will ever be.  She is an amazing mom.  A supermom.  I know that she doesn’t see the red and yellow S on her chest (probably because Peyton's head is attached to it most the time), but it’s there.  Our two boys are beyond blessed to have a mom that loves them enough to put herself through the ringer day in and day out to provide for their futures while also giving them all the attention and love that she does.  She is an incredible wife mainly because of the way she cares for our boys.

So Minj, I know it is not said enough, but thank you for flying faster than a speeding bullet, leaping buildings in a single bound, and still having time to love Patrick, Peyton, and me as much you do.  You are supermom.


No comments:

Post a Comment