The Mulloy's

The Mulloy's

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Patrick and Peyton's Birthday Celebration

We had Patrick and Peyton's birthday celebration this weekend.  If you are thinking that their birthdays were a couple months ago, you are right! The boys really wanted a joint bowling birthday party and I could not find a Saturday where we did not have sports both in the morning and afternoon. The bowling alley was booked every Sunday that I checked, so Saturday morning in late May was our only chance to do a birthday party for both of them. There is not a bowling alley in Nashville any more, so our only option was Franklin. They have mini lanes with tiny little balls called Highway 66 bowling. I thought it would be perfect for the boys!


Apparently I picked the worst weekend to do a birthday party! We had a few regrets early on, but we had a good amount of acceptances too. A couple days before the party (when all of the responses started coming in), I started to try and figure out how many we would have. I thought we would have about 15 kids at the party, which seemed like the perfect amount!

The morning of the party, I woke up and started prepping for everything. I had spent a few days beforehand getting everything ready. The big boys helped a lot. While we were getting everything ready the boys both asked which of their friends were able to come. They were both really excited about it. We hopped in the car and headed towards Franklin. I pulled out my phone on the way and saw there were a lot of RSVP updates. Well can I just go on a small rant for a minute? We had 9 children back out as we were driving to the party!!! Seriously?!?  I walked into the party feeling pretty upset about it because I was worried that no one would show up at all. A birthday party is a big deal to a child. Had I known that not many people were going to come I would have tried to pick another time. I just think it is very rude to respond a few minutes before the party. I realize that the party was 30 minutes away, but if you RSVP yes, I really think that you should try and attend the party if possible. I completely understand that there will be circumstances that pop up, but for 9 kids to back out at the last minute was crazy!

Now i'm not one to get fired up about things (at all!), but I seriously felt as though parents just didn't want to put in the effort to take their children. We make every attempt to attend all of the birthday parties we are invited to (it's important to that child!) and we go out of our way to attend. It provided a good opportunity for me to teach the boys how to be appreciative of those that came and to shake it off and have a great time. Patrick had 2 friends show up and Peyton had 4 friends. It was a small group, but we had a blast!

Michael thinks I am ridiculous, but I couldn't just show up for their party. I love to put a personal touch on their party and I think the boys really do appreciate the extra effort. We had about 20 minutes to set up for the party. I prepped everything in advance and just pulled it together really fast once we got there. It was tricky trying to come up with ways to make it creative, without hanging anything. The red birthday backdrop is a tri-fold display project board covered with fabric I already had from a previous party. I also just printed out a quick birthday banner and stapled it to the board.




The boys and I searched google and picked out a birthday cake together. We had been pretty busy so I didn't even think about placing the cake order until about a week in advance. Since this was a big weekend for graduations, I had a hard time finding someone to make the cake. I normally go with Publix, but I thought this cake might be a little tricky for them. So, I called bakery after bakery and every single one turned me down because they were at full capacity. I think I might have called 7 bakeries. I went to talk to Publix about doing the cake and they said they were booked solid. Publix booked solid, seriously? Finally, someone mentioned that the cool springs Puffy Muffin normally has availability and can do elaborate cakes. I was afraid their price quote would come in really high, but it was surprisingly cheaper than what Publix can nomally do! 

I was so impressed with the cake! They will definitely be my new go-to for the boys birthday cakes!


The party favors were mini bowling pins with Starburst jelly beans


They were so cute and delicious


I made a couple of quick centerpieces for the tables



The lanes are just so cute and perfect for this age!


My serious little bowler. He LOVES bowling. He is also really good. I think his score for the first game was 136. I'm pretty sure he would beat me every time! 


Peyton likes bowling okay, but loved running around with his buddies in the arcade the most. I made their shirts at about 11:45pm the night before and I think they turned out great. Nothing like some last minute printing and ironing the night before a party :)


Peyton has the best bowling technique. It is so funny! He can't be persuaded to bowl any other way. 


Playing some air hockey with friends




Family picture. Can we just talk about how precious my big boys are for a minute? They are the best of friends. Do you spy them holding hands in the picture below. SO cute!


I asked the boys if they would take a picture and they came up with these poses themselves. My heart could explode with how much these two love each other. 





Happy birthday to these big boys!


And here is the post party ride home. I think this little one had a lot of fun


We had fun celebrating you Patrick and Peyton!

No comments:

Post a Comment