The Mulloy's

The Mulloy's

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Turk and Bailey Update

I haven't posted about Turk and Bailey lately, because they really haven't been up to much. They have been going on walks with "Whose That" and searching for chipmunks in the back yard.

However, last Friday they had a big event. It was dark outside and I heard them barking at something. Michael was at a happy hour and I was feeding Patrick so I just figured they were barking at a chipmunk and were fine. Then I heard a really loud fight outside. I knew it wasn't Turk and Bailey messing with each other because it sounded loud and vicious. I ran downstairs with Patrick to see Turk and Bailey both covered in blood standing at the back door. I called Michael because I had no idea what to do. Since Patrick was with me, I didn't want to let them in the house and touch them, but I didn't want to leave them outside with whatever dangerous animal was out there either. Michael got home shortly after and cleaned them off. He couldn't find an animal in the back yard, so the animal must have gotten away. We assumed it was either a raccoon or a possum since we have a 7 foot fence and it would have had to climb the fence to get in the back yard.

Turk seemed to be the more injured one from the fight. He had bite marks all around his throat and deep scratch marks on his nose and inside is mouth. I was really nervous about it and wanted to take them to the vet the next morning. However, the next day they both acted fine so we didn't take them. A week later, Turk was obviously not feeling well. He didn't move all day and didn't eat, which is rare for Turk. Bailey will go a couple days without eating sometimes, but not Turk. He also seemed sluggish when "Whose That" came over, so we knew something was wrong with him! Michael took him to the emergency vet at midnight on Saturday night. The vet seemed to think it was just an infection but told us to look for signs of rabies. Apparently, they can't test for rabies. They have both had their rabies shots, but you never know. Turk also had a big hot spot all around his mouth and neck from drooling from getting the scratches in his mouth. The day after we gave Turk his medicine he acted like his old self again! So happy he is feeling better and doesn't have rabies!

My sweet little buddies


Below is a picture of Turk a couple weeks after the incident. You can still see a little trace of the hotspot on Turk although its much better than it was!



Turk and Bailey have been really good lately. No more accidents in Patrick's room. Bailey will sniff and lick Patrick a lot, but run away if he tries to reach out. Turk runs away if you are holding Patrick and get close to him. Overall they have been really good with him and are getting used to sharing Michael and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment