The Mulloy's

The Mulloy's

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Peyton Passmore Mulloy

We welcomed Peyton Passmore Mulloy into our family on Thursday, March 28, 2013 at 2:57p.m, 18 days earlier than his due date.  He weighed 7 pounds, 1 ounce and was 18 inches long and perfectly healthy (two 9's on the apgar test, just like big brother).  Michael and I feel so blessed to have another healthy baby boy!  We are so in love with this precious little gift!

I was terrible about taking bump pictures this time around, so we decided to take one before heading to our doctor appointment.  Little did we know that we would be meeting our little boy just a few short hours after this picture was taken!


We had an ultrasound scheduled for 8:15 that morning at Vanderbilt. We had so many ultrasounds with Peyton that I knew exactly what to look for in the ultrasound picture. Michael and I both knew that if my fluid levels were any lower that I would probably be induced immediately. When she brought the picture up I knew that we would be meeting Peyton pretty soon. The ultrasound tech reviewed everything pretty closely and said that Peyton looked great, but that there was barely any fluid left. She said Dr. Lipsitz would go over my options and then said good luck. Our appointment wasn't until 9:15 with the doctor, so Michael and I decided to go home and pack for the hospital.

We met with Dr. Lipsitz at 9:15 and she was all business. Came in checked me and said she would be right back. When she came back she explained that my fluid levels were a 3 (the previous week it had been a 5) and that she did not think we could wait for the induction date we had already scheduled for Monday. It becomes dangerous for the baby when the fluid level is 5 and below. She said she recommended we go ahead and immediately induce. So we headed straight to labor and delivery!

This experience was so different from my previous experience with Patrick. With Patrick, I was in active labor and was in so much pain. I could not concentrate as they were trying to check me in. However, this time it was so relaxed. The nurses took their time checking me in and then we waited a few minutes for a room. Michael forgot his cell phone, so he ran home while I was waiting on a room. I was pretty nervous about the delivery this time around, since I strongly preferred to go into labor naturally instead of being induced. I was also pretty worried about the complications that could happen since my fluid was so low. But, everything turned out perfectly. Below is sweet little Peyton's birth story (Warning- if you do not want to know details, just skip to the pictures. I am posting the long boring details mostly for my own memory)

I got into the room around 10:30 and was hooked up to all the machines. I was actually having contractions on my own before getting any pitocin (Peyton probably would have come on his own in the next couple of days anyway). Things didn't start out very well, I was dehydrated and the nurse had a terrible time getting an IV in.  After I was hooked up to all the machines and everything looked good (around 11:30), Michael decided to get a fast lunch with his mom at Elliston Place (the same place he went to the day Patrick was born). I wanted him to eat something so he didn't feel sick!

The doctor came in a couple hours after I had been there and broke my water. I was already feeling a lot of contractions and in hindsight I should have gotten the epidural immediately after my water broke. I didn't get the epidural immediately because I had only progressed from 2 to 3 centimeters the first couple hours and I thought it would be a long day and didn't want it to wear off.  Well after about 15 minutes and a lady going through natural childbirth and screaming at the top of her lungs next door, I decided I needed the epidural! Unfortunately my nurse was with the woman next door so I had to wait another 20-30 minutes for the epidural. The anesthesiologist came in and it took a lot longer than the epidural I had with Patrick. The anesthesiologist I had with Patrick was probably around 60 and very experienced. The anesthesiologist this time, although not young, had a hard time and kept saying I had a very narrow spot for the needle to go through. I was in severe pain the whole time getting the epidural and it was really hard for me to be still through the long process.

After getting the epidural the nurse checked me again and I was 6cm. I was surprised that I went from 3cm to 6cm all while getting the epidural! The anesthesiologist told me to wait 15 minutes for the medicine to kick in. My parents came back to the room after I got the epidural.  They were only able to stay for a few minutes since I had to call the nurse because I was in a lot of pain and the epidural was not working! By the time the anesthesiologist got there a few minutes later, I told the nurse that I thought I was ready to push and I needed the epidural fixed before Peyton's arrival! The nurse rushed off and called Dr. Lipsitz while the anesthesiologist tried to figure out what was wrong with the epidural. They sent a new anesthesiologist this time and she made the decision to try and adjust the epidural instead of inserting a new one, since Peyton would probably be here before she could insert a new one.

The nurse had to page Dr. Lipsitz a few times before she was able to reach her. Dr. Lipsitz did not think he would come that quickly and was with another patient at the time. This was actually a blessing in disguise because the epidural started working right when Dr. Lipsitz arrived. I did not think my body was going to be able to make it through delivery with how much pain I was in without the epidural. Peyton was only hanging on because everything happened so fast and they did not have time to insert a catheter after the epidural, otherwise I probably would have had him without the doctor present. I ended up pushing for about 15 to 20 minutes and only because little Peyton decided to have his hand beside his head.

After the delivery, Dr. Lipsitz came over and said she was really relieved that we decided to induce. She said that if I had gone into labor naturally, I probably would not have made it to the hospital in time. Michael and I had brought a movie to watch while we were waiting for Peyton to arrive, but we did not even have time to start the movie! I seem to have tough pregnancy's and easy and fast deliveries! Both of our boys must have been eager to meet us!

I am just so thankful for a healthy baby boy, especially with all of the complications with this pregnancy! Below are pictures from his first day!

Peyton's first picture with mom 


First picture with dad


Picture with mom and dad


He was much bigger than I expected him to be! I was shocked!



I love his chubby little face with such a full head of hair! Looks like he weighs more than 7 pounds in this picture :)




Aunt Denton made it to Nashville just a few short minutes before Peyton was born! 


A picture with Big, which is special since Big is his namesake


Uncle Matthew and Mark 



Ready to head upstairs to our suite! We were excited that the Predator's suite was open this time around!




So excited to see my big boy!


Patrick meeting Peyton for the first time





Sweet little Peyton cooing at Patrick


First family picture. Patrick was scared to put his arms down on the baby. I just love it!



Patrick kept asking to "carry baby"



So in love with my boys!


Big brother present for Patrick


Loving all his presents from Peyton!

Nana and Grumps meeting Peyton




The second day at the hospital was pretty low key and I spent most the day loving on my little buddy. Patrick came back to visit and was really excited to carry baby again. 




Patrick also had lots of fun playing with Aunt Denton, Big and Allie and Nana and Grumps the rest of the day!


One more of sweet little Peyton!


We love you so much Peyton and we are so excited to share our life with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment