The Mulloy's

The Mulloy's

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pregnancy According to Michael

So Minje has been bugging me for about a month to do a blog post. So here is pregnancy from the man’s perspective.

About 36 weeks or so ago, I was informed that my life was about to change forever, again. About a week before that, a doctor told Minje it would take her 6 months to a year to get pregnant. Holy S*#t!


I then went through the 5 Stages of Male Emotion after finding out that his wife is pregnant: 1) Shock 2) Panic 3) More Shock 4) More Panic, and finally 5) Excitement coupled with Shock and Panic.


In all seriousness, I really did not know what to think for the first three to four months. Minje was sick constantly, and there was nothing I could really do to help her at all. I felt helpless, and wondered how someone could throw up so many times in one day. I’m not sure how the sickness got dubbed “morning sickness,” because with Minje it was an all day affair. Meanwhile, I was just getting my first taste of having a designated driver. She will tell you I was a pain, but in reality, I went for quality over quantity. I like to think I was somewhat sympathetic by not making her drive me all over the place every weekend. There was the “Christmas party stretch” that I know was tough on her. We had both of our work Christmas parties, as well as a few smaller ones. I took full advantage, and I think the edo Christmas party may have done her in. She was a trooper though and probably put up with more than she should have. I definitely owe her a DD night or two.


After the sickness in the beginning, we moved into the “growing” stage. Being a fat kid myself, I found it hard to sympathize with the growing belly. Especially since the only fat on the woman is because of Patrick. So I spent the next couple months trying to convince Minje that she is not fat, she is pregnant. No one sees Minje and is like wow she is just really packing on the lbs right there in the midsection. I mean come on. I will admit that I took the opportunity to toss a few jokes in there as she would complain about her weight. Pleasantly plump just sounds better than “I’m fat.” She laughed for a minute at least.


The past couple months it has really started to hit me. I think it’s hard for the guy to connect in the beginning because it seems so far away and you’re not actually carrying the baby. I’ve put together a crib, swing, baby monitor, and installed a car seat. We’ve gone to birthing class, infant CPR, and got breastfeeding for dummies in the queue. This is when it all started getting real for me.


All in all, Minje has been absolutely amazing throughout the pregnancy. I am so honored to call her my wife, and can’t wait to introduce P-Diddy (as she hates me to call him) to the world. Not to say that is has been the easiest nine months of my life, but it has definitely been a fun ride. I know it has not been easy at all for her with the demands of her job, Junior League, the RCIA, two of the craziest hound dogs in the world and myself. The fact that she has stuck with RCIA this whole time has just floored me. They have made it near impossible with their requirements and she just keeps on trucking through it. I probably haven’t expressed enough how much it means to me that she is doing this for me and Patrick. So here’s to my wonderful wife, and our exciting adventures ahead with our new family. I cant wait!


Daycare Donations can be sent to:

Patrick Gallagher Mulloy

5724 Stoneway Trail

Nashville, TN 37209


No comments:

Post a Comment